Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Oceano, Eucalyptus and Lost Fortunes

This is David Ciaffardini reporting from high atop a sand dune in Oceano, a beautiful location I've been living in since 1992.

Looking out from my balcony, I've got majestic eucalyptus trees to my left, an avocado orchard to my right, a green-striped farm field in the distance, leading toward undeveloped sand dunes where, peeking through their fleshy curves, is a spot of blue Pacific Ocean. I feel very blessed to be living here.

Speaking of eucalyptus trees, I love them. My friend Bill Denneen can't stand them and wants to see them all yanked out by their roots because they are a "non-native" species.

It's true that 200 years ago you wouldn't have found a eucalyptus tree within 1,000 miles of here. Then in the 1800's Californians began importing these "instant trees" from Australia. Because they grow so fast, they were a great source of shade for residents who longed for respite from California's renowned sunshine in the days before air-conditioning.

Their unique fragrance keeps bugs away and the oil in their leaves makes a great all-natural mosquito repellent. Come to think of it, I can't recall seeing any mosquitoes around my home over the years.

Famous writer Jack London, like many Californians in the 1800's, hoped to make a fortune from eucalyptus. He imported thousands of eucalyptus saplings, having been sold on the idea that he could within a few years harvest lumber from the trees and sell them to the rapidly expanding railroad industry to be used as railroad ties.

Turns out that eucalyptus lumber, with its tendency to crack and split, is wholly unsuited for railroad ties. Eucalyptus trees would not be exploited in accord with the get-rich-quick plans of big business men. Jack, like many, lost a small fortune on this ill-advised scheme.

Eucalyptus trees are now ubiquitous in California and I savor their beauty and tenacity. Dozens of varieties of the species can be found throughout the state and I love how they stand so tall, their branches gently swaying; creatures of majestic grace that, like a painter's perfect highlighting brush stroke, add depth and perspective and vitality to the rolling, golden hills.

California is a state with a tradition of nurturing non-natives, where non-natives contribute so much with their sweat, blood and love. Where non-native roots grow fast and deep. It is here where non-natives grow strong and contribute in so many vital and beautiful ways that are too often overlooked or taken for granted. Where over the years labels like "non-native" or "foreigners" or "immigrants" have helped hone the axes of those who want to exploit or extract those that they don't appreciate or understand.

Eucalyptus trees are more native than I am. But they have never turned me away, never refused to let me walk within their groves, inhaling their scent, cooling in their shade, admiring their magnificence. To me, they are essential in defining what is so beautiful and compelling about the landscape of California. Thank you so much!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home