Monday, August 22, 2005

All Over The Map

I'm all over the map. This blogging thing has really got me going. First I write about what a great place I'm living in, then before long I'm complaining about ugly architecture along the freeway. I write about not wanting to use this blog to complain and whine, soon I'm railing against "Conservative Bob." Then I write about Bill Benica, a friend with whom I find it "good sport" to find fault with.

Blogging for me is an experiment. And so far results indicate I feel more at peace keeping my words upbeat, seeing the cup half-full instead of half-empty. But it takes discipline to maintain that positive approach. Negativity strokes the ego. Negativity feeds the adrenaline addiction. Negativity is contagious.

Being negative is a way to gain attention. I'm more likely to get impassioned reader feedback if I go off on somebody or some thing. As they say, people love to watch a fight. And that creates the illusion that I am important, that I am doing something worthwhile. Seeing Dave Congalton absolutely blow a fuse and go on a cursing tear because of something I wrote (See comments for my posting "Unmask Irresponsible Commentator") gave me a moment of joy, it's sad to say. (Actually, more than a few moments.) But then I think, isn't that kind of sadistic?

I say I want peace in the world, but can I find peace in myself? Should I be using this blog to change the world, or change myself?

It strikes me that being at peace is as contagious as being negative; that transforming myself may not draw attention or ego strokes or adrenaline rushes, but it will be the most efficient way to transform my world; that being master of the blogging world, or master of the entire world is not nearly as crucial or ultimately satisfying as being master of myself.

It's lazy to spend my days looking out at my world, casting judgments, seeing problems, making mental notes of the things that aren't exactly the way I would like, thinking I'm actually doing something worthwhile by telling others how things ought to be.

Turning that gaze back at myself is a greater challenge.

1 Comments:

Blogger David C. said...

HI Spectator. Thank you for your feedback. But consider this: Perhaps it would be better if more people did LESS.

And, although many people may not agree, I believe knowledge is over rated. Knowledge does not equal wisdom; the most knowledgeable among us are frequently not the most wise. We live in a world brimming over with knowledge and yet it does not seem to help us with many fundamental problems we face.

I agree that one can be too introspective, but that does not seem to be a problem most people I know suffer from. Quite the opposite in fact.

As for great ideas, I believe the greatest of them arise from beyond knowledge and rational thought. Knowledge and rational thought simply help us recognize them for what they are.

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home