Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Nobody "Reads" Blogs

I'll keep this short. Why? I may be wrong, but I think most viewers might scan but don't fully read postings if they are more than 200 words long.

There's so much to see on the internet that reading seems to take forever. Who has the time?

Some of us are having fun writing our great essays, but, quality not withstanding, I think very few people are reading them all the way through. And that goes for my work as well.

How many of the postings on this site have you read from beginning to end? Get my point?

Writing for a blog is not the same as writing for a newspaper or magazine. Writing 500- or even 300-word essays, I'm sorry to say, is hopelessly old school.

I'm guessing most of the folks posting on Central Coast News Mission are middle age or better. (Their postings sure make them look that way.) They grew up with newspapers and magazines and are writing in that style. But blogging is a significantly different medium and it's time for more of us to get hip to it.

Am I wrong? What do you think? I welcome your feedback--short or long.

2 Comments:

Blogger David C. said...

Yes, very pithy. Perhaps you will forward this post to some of my blogging colleagues who seen not to have gotten the message.

And I have no doubt I too will revert to luxuriating in long-windedness on ocassion. Some readers might contend that I have never stopped doing so.

1:48 AM  
Blogger NewsstandGreg said...

David, whatever you do, don't "pith" me off! Heh, heh. I'm amazed at how good a couple hundred words or less can be!

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home